The Institute shall strive to function and contribute in the following thrust areas.
- Capacity building in the context of 73rd Constitutional Amendment Act.
- Rural Development & Panchayati Raj with a focus on elected representatives particularly women functionaries and NGOs.
- Socio-economic upliftment and empowerment of rural women through capacity building initiatives.
- Participatory management of development initiatives
- Capacity building in the field of water and sanitation sector.
- Watershed development through monitoring and evaluation & Training.
- Training of Trainers (ToT)
- Training Need Identification (TNA) and Impact Assessment studies.
- Rural tourism development and capacity building.
- Rural housing Earthquake resistant housing, low cost rural housing.
- Rural credit and financing, rural marketing.
- Integrated horticulture and organic farming.
- Rural energy programme.
- Rural information technology and e-governance.